Most water resource management projects involve an assessment of some basic questions:
- How much water is available ?
- What resources may be affected by a water resource-related project ?
- How much water can be utilized without adverse outcomes ?
- What technical alternatives are available for a water utilization project ?
- Is mitigation warranted ? …… what mitigation alternatives are available ?
- What limitations exist on potential utilization of water within a basin ?
Each regulatory jurisdiction, such as State environmental management agencies, river basin commissions, etc., may have specific criteria for basin analyses.